Saturday 18 April 2009

UgandAshis - 2 The hawk has landed.



UgandAshis 2009 – 2. The hawk has landed.

Kampala, Uganda
April 18, 2009.

The hawk represents the messenger in the Lakota tradition. (http://www.animaltotem.com/hawk.html for more information) . I am a bird lover and I like this feathered friend a lot. It is with great joy to see them anywhere. If you like birds Uganda is a paradise. A good place to nest therefore as here I can develop my ornithological skills. Bird watch and make photos from dusk to dawn could be a full time job.

It is after a period of 10 years on a tour of nations in several continents that I have picked Africa and Uganda in specific to set up shop. A base from where to blog, vlog, write, dance, cook and invite friends from all over the world to visit in my then constructed little palace on lake Victoria.

Amongst the things to do: nurture the newly fledgling Phoenix Global Humanitarian Foundation Africa, teach Public Health at local Universities, work in a hospital, receive and guide visitors around Uganda, build a network of grass root organizations, fundraise, become a platform on web 2.0 and to look at news ways of doing humanitarian work. Ways that aim to make myself replaced by a local staff member as soon as possible, to make projects thrivable, sustainable as per local demand, local analysis, local solutions and international knowledge and skill transfer.

Here I feel the calm to write a daily blog, some poetry and work on the second book after Utmost. For a period in my life I had an urge to travel. I still do but from a solid home base. Uganda will give me all the tools required.

In the mean time let us go back to the hawk. Two Cooper hawk feathers made their way to me. Next visit to the USA I shall ask my possum friend to help me out again to bead two feather holders as I have done for my red tailed hawk feather. Besides being examples of nature’s brilliant beauty they protect me, guide me and lead me to focus on why I am in Africa.

Land, build a nest, fly and be a messenger for the radiant bliss that is Africa.

Namaskar,
Ashis

No comments:

Post a Comment