Saturday 13 June 2009

UgandAshis 18. WBS cooking show

UgandAshis 18. WBS cooking show.

Kampala, Uganda, June 7, 2009.

WBS cooking show.

A while ago Reeta, a young Indian-Ugandan host of life style television show on the biggest Ugandan television network and I bumped into each other at a common friend’s place. Nickelangelo quickly grabbed the opportunity to boost about my excellent Indian cooking skills. Innocent me as the Sweish chef of the Muppet Show just nodded. One month later I received a phone call. Why had I not called her and when was I going to cook a proper dish for Reeta? I told Reeta that I spend my weeks in Fort Portal nowadays but that I happened to be free on Monday morning. Ok she said. Get ready to cook a meat dish for her TV show.

A nice way to be introduced to the Ugandan public: the singing and dancing chef. Quickly I consulted my mom and dad for one of our killer dishes, lamb. I spent the last days cleaning the kitchen, stocking up all the oils and spices I need for tomorrow. All that is left for tomorrow is fresh lamb and lemon.

Can I actually cook?

Well while being a student and I did that professionally for some time I did cook quite a lot however over the last 10 years my cooking skills have gotten a bit rusty. It is here in Uganda that I have started cooking again. And now my work is in Fort Portal so all my attempts remain for the weekend r for national Ugandan TV. As many things in life let me go and try, see if I can wing it.

I could also try an act as the Swedish cook of the Muppet Show or give a discourse on the wealth of health by eating well. The meal is supposed to be a meat based meal – many of the Gujarati’s here are vegetarian and some others do not eat onion and garlic. I was expressly requested to make a meat masterpiece.

A report will follow on the outcome of the televised onslaught. Will I get a cult following as the mad dancing and singing Indian cook? Will the meat burn? Shall I pull it off in front of the glaring and unforgiving camera? Can I find meat tomorrow? Will my gas stove function? Shall I be unmasked as a fraudster?
Whatever will happen – I will go down with laughter.

Enjoy the show!

A day after the recording and six days before the airing of the show – the film crew really liked the grub and despite my mediocre cooking pots – nothing burned! And they want to film me again cooking and or telling my life story as a physician or about spirituality. Perhaps I will become a fixed feature on the show. Let us await the response from people I know (and those I do not). Currently I am known as Salvador (a hero from a South American soap) perhaps now I become the doctoring cook.

Namaskar,
Ashis

No comments:

Post a Comment