Tuesday 14 July 2009

UgandAshis 31 The furry ball of hair

UgandAshis 31 The furry ball of hair

Kampala, Uganda

July 13, 2009

Snuggled in between my chest the keyboard and my bed sheets is a furry ball of hair. Black with brown and a tinge of white, 3 weeks old yawning and cute as cute can be. With a father called Fokker (after the Dutch airplane) of German shepherd descent and a mom of mixed German shepherd and Mechelse shepherd it is a long haired dog.
Mahdad has installed some photo shop like programs on my laptop so I hope, Internet allowing I may be able to send you a photo of my new friend and future house guard. Still without full vision he is currently trying to type some messages on the board. His eyes are still blue. This lovely dog was a gift from my friend Masoud and is one of the sweetest things I have ever received.

There is a saying in the Netherlands ‘Huisje, boompje, beestje’ translated it is ‘House, tree and animal’ . The proverb is about settling. I am sure to travel more in my life and at the same time it is the closest I have come to settling in a long time.

After a brief interlude in which the dog had peed in my bed and drank a whole bottle of milk he is now chewing on the defunct UTL modem. I am sure he wants a proper bed, blanket and some things to chew on tonight. To become a guard dog is the goal and mostly to be a friend.

I am still looking into names; it will likely be something Indian, mythological and pronounceable by Ismael and Emmanuel. Both guys are very happy to take on the care of the dog. Especially when I am in Fort Portal they will take excellent care. Surely the dog will grow. Out of the batch of his brothers and sisters I was told he had something special. Masoud even said he looks like me; hairy and chunky. The dog is always active and on the move, drinking and exploring the world.

For now I am off to get him a basket, in the near future he will be moving into the guard’s house in the day and roam the garden at night. First he can be a puppy. It will be fun training him. Fortunately all the other guys in the house have had many dogs before.

The charmer he is I am sure he will be flooded with affection and endless streams of milk. Once a name sticks in my mind I will post it. My little friend is crying for his bottle.

Namaskar,

Ashis

No comments:

Post a Comment