Sunday 22 November 2009

UgandAshis 63 Internet glory

UgandAshis 63 Internet glory

Kampala, November 19, 2009.

Yesterday I whirled my way downtown on a boda boda in search for the Holy Grail. In this end of the world that may be something as attainable in the West as a proper Internet connection. One that allows you to upload videos and talk to friends around the world through Skype, Yahoo messengers or other VOIP settings. Finally after five months of UTL disaster, hours spent on a toll free number with the help desk discussing the possible reasons why 1 kb/s was the best I could get, cajoling, pleading, threatening, losing temper, sweet talking something broke.

UTL and I are officially no longer a hot item - history done deal - over - done - bla bla. So Mahdad and I ended up dodging rain on this quest for glory. And yesterday yes yesterday somebody ended up buying the last modem in Kampala in front of my eyes. All for the better because a small splurge on my side later I was informed that a broad band was within target and will lead to an increased way of speaking with friends all over the world. Destiny or not I am happily awaiting the arrival tomorrow of this super fresh and fast connection.

Mahdad followed the flow of the moment and did the wild thing: he bought a beaming Toshiba lap top. And I well I already have the pleasure of tapping away on a Mac. So why all this materialistic babble today. Mmm, just excited to be using this cyber opportunities to start posting podcast, vodcast to the wider world. Finally I hope to launch a proper website talking and telling about this majestic country called Uganda. There is so much to tell and show.

The first idea I have is to shoot a mini video on one of the major issues in Uganda. The lack of access to the health care system for the average person here. However despite meagre funds what amazes me most is something much more positive. Let me give an example. Three hundred thousand people in this country require anti retro viral drugs and over hundred and fifty thousand are receiving it. One can say the cup is half empty one can see the class half full. If you take in to consideration the limited resources it is a great feat. The average person here has to deal with the reality of having one doctor per 15.000 people and most of them are stationed in Kampala.

Time to pick up my HD flip cam go out there and interview people around the country. Patients, nurses, midwives and doctors. To see what their perspective is on what is going on in Uganda.

Yes we can share and see that perspective. One of the things that Africa can overcome is the digital divide. The different under water cables will make the difference. No truck crunching the optic fibre cables can stop that. Hope to hear from you.

Namaskar,

Ashis Brahma

1 comment:

  1. Ashis! Now I can realize and believe you that UTL 3G!!! was disaster! :D Now our internet is drunk! ;)

    Wish you luck on shooting and upload a lot!

    ReplyDelete