Monday 11 May 2009

UgandAshis 9. Oh no.

UgandAshis 9. Oh no.

May 1, 2009
Kampala, Uganda

Oh no.

The house I am living currently is quite big for a sole person. However I am sure to have many visitors coming and it will also double as an office for PGHF. The garden has a huge wall around it and since 1 night I had a young sentry/cleaner named Emmanuel. Cheerful that my house is starting to look like a home I left to watch the Barcelona-Chelsea football match down in a local pub with a friend. Post match I stayed around for a while longer and when I returned home the funny feeling that I had when I left became a bad suspicion.

The upstairs door to my balcony was open. I was sure to have locked it. As I rushed into the living room my worst fear came true: laptop, red cross bag, digital photo camera, money, modem, two pairs of Merrell shoes, a loaf of bread, a carton of milk and a book all gone.

I miss my Macbook and my internet connection. The burglars stoutly had entered my neighbors gate, smashed the glass off the top brick, scaled the wall, climbed up to the balcony, forced open the door to the house, snuck down, nicked all my items, moved up again, climbed down the balcony, rescaled the wall and all without making a peep.

When the police came and did their forensic work they were sure it was an inside job, someone who had worked in the house before. I am awaiting results of the investigation.

To make sure that this does not happen in the future; I now have a night time guard who is armed with bow and arrow, all the security lights are fixed around the compound, considering getting a dog (or two, an old dream of mine)

I hope the culprits get nabbed so no one else has to suffer their crimes. As far as my losses go, all is material and I have backups of my photos and my Mac Book. It feels like a nuisance and makes me more determined to make this mighty house my secure home.

As for the benefits : finally a dog! And I will learn to shoot bow and arrow properly through my night guard Sam and both Emmanuel and myself are unharmed, getting to know that your landlord is sincere and that your neighbors care (last night I ate tilapia at my neighbors).

Awaiting a new cam I may take some shots with my video to show you the house, garden, Emmanuel, Sam, bow and arrow. Bare with me until I have a renewed internet connection. In Uganda Labor Day is a public holiday like about 50 other days.

Namaskar,
Ashis

No comments:

Post a Comment